Saturday, May 23, 2009

Legislative language

In musing about how Congress should stay on topic I found govtrack.us (which seems to be a very useful site). (No comments on how my first sentence is not related to the rest of my post).

As a result of finding govtrack and the full text of the bill I skimmed through the Credit CARD Act of 2009 and read the section allowing guns in National Parks and National Wildlife Refuges. The thing that struck me was the language used. I did student congress in high school and I know that the law has its own language. But some parts of this section read more like PowerPoint slides than legal language. The sentence that really got me:
Congress needs to weigh in on the new regulations to ensure that unelected bureaucrats and judges cannot again override the Second Amendment rights of law-abiding citizens on 83,600,000 acres of National Park System land and 90,790,000 acres of land under the jurisdiction of the United States Fish and Wildlife Service.
Weigh in? Next thing you know Congress is going to leverage the synergy of the new process to produce outstanding results in all that they do.

No comments: