Saturday, January 24, 2009

Times Reader

I downloaded the Times Reader (Beta) for Mac a few months ago, when it was first announced. I played with it a few days and then deleted it finding that I preferred reading the email headlines and then surfing around NYTimes.com. But after a recent plane flight when I couldn't get to the website I decided to give Times Reader another look. Here are my thoughts:
- I wish that it scaled better. At the middle-sized font (they let you choose from 3) most articles are divided across 2 pages. But the Reader window is limited to a small portion of my screen. I am sure this is for some reasonable technical reason but it feels clunky almost to the point of annoying.
- Partly because articles are divided a lot of navigation is required -- the keyboard shortcuts help out a lot.
- It doesn't keep track of what has been read and they don't keep stories to a certain date. So I skimmed through the whole paper yesterday and today it is showing me a bunch of the same stories. Maybe I don't really understand how it works. On the 28th I went back to the 26th and found an article whose byline was the 27th??? Anyhow it doesn't give me a feeling that I am in control of my reading experience and that was one of the things that I really hoped to get from this application that NYTimes.com doesn't offer.
- The Most Emailed section is way better than the NYTimes.com version. It includes pictures and short summaries of the article whereas NYTimes.com just shows the headline.
- I don't know if it is Times Reader itself or Silverlight but the application seems to spend a bunch of time with the spinning beach ball. (I guess this might be a function of the app being in beta...)

I'll keep playing with it but as of now I am not sold

No comments: